VAT reliefs for disabled and older people

Many people aged 60+ or who have a disability may be missing out on buying products without VAT, because they do not realise that they can!

Read the answers to some frequently asked questions below, for an outline of what VAT reliefs are available. We tell you how to find out more at the end.

What is VAT?
What is the definition of ‘disability’ for VAT reliefs?
What does personal or domestic use mean?
What is covered by the ‘zero rate’?

     Alterations to your home
     Other equipment

Can other goods and appliances qualify for zero rating?
What if I am aged over 60, but not disabled?
How do I claim the disabled and elderly VAT reliefs?
Where can I find out more?

What is VAT?

VAT (‘Value Added Tax’) is a tax that you pay as a consumer when you buy goods and services in the United Kingdom (UK). In the UK the standard rate for VAT is 20 per cent. Under VAT law, the VAT is regarded as being included in the price of goods or services unless otherwise stated. 

Sometimes you automatically benefit where no VAT is charged on certain items – for example, basic foods. But VAT reliefs can also be available on other goods and services if you can identify that you are entitled.

The two main types of reliefs from VAT that we will look at here are:

  1. ‘Zero-rating’ for certain supplies to disabled people for their domestic or personal use – that means, no VAT is charged.

    Supplies (for example, goods and services)  on which you do not have to pay VAT are often referred to as 'zero-rated' or ‘Vat-free’ or 'eligible for VAT relief'. 

    Since VAT was introduced in the UK in 1973, successive Governments have recognised that disabled people should not have to bear all of the extra VAT costs which they could incur in meeting their needs. However, the rules about VAT reliefs for disabled people are complex. Not everything that is supplied to disabled people is zero-rated for VAT. The product and disability have to qualify.

    Most zero-rates apply regardless of who buys and pays for the goods and services, provided the other conditions are met. So the relief can apply if you are the carer of a disabled child and are catering for their needs. 
  2. ‘Reduced rating’ (currently 5%) on certain mobility aids installed in the homes of people aged 60 and over.

What is the definition of ‘disability’ for VAT reliefs?

VAT law provides certain reliefs for people who are ‘chronically sick or disabled’.

 ‘Chronically sick or disabled’ is expanded in HMRC guidance as a person:

  • with a physical or mental impairment that has a long-term and substantial adverse effect upon their ability to carry out everyday activities;
  • with a condition that the medical profession treats as a chronic sickness, such as diabetes; or
  • who is terminally ill.

You will not qualify if you are only temporarily disabled or incapacitated, such as suffering from a broken leg or other temporary injury. You also will not qualify if you are elderly but are otherwise able-bodied and do not suffer any chronic conditions. However, if you are over 60, you may only have to pay a reduced rate of VAT (currently 5%) if you have certain mobility aids installed in your home. See What if I am aged over 60, but not disabled? for more information. 

The severity of some conditions such as back pain, psoriasis, dyslexia and asthma varies – some sufferers will not be regarded as disabled by the conditions whilst others will be. Where your condition has a substantial long-term, adverse effect on your ability to carry out normal day-to-day activities, then you should be treated as disabled for VAT purposes. 

Remember: disability – on its own – is not enough to zero-rate a supply. The other conditions must be met too, for example with regard to personal or domestic use. You do not need to receive state benefits to prove that you are disabled, but receipt of certain benefits is likely to be enough to prove that you are disabled.

What does personal or domestic use mean?

The goods and services that you are buying have to be for the disabled person’s personal or domestic use. HMRC’s guidance advises that this does not include use for business purposes. Thus, HMRC comment that if a self-employed blind person purchases a Braille embosser for a computer that is used in his business, then that purchase cannot be zero-rated. The legislation does not actually define personal use so it may be that some business use should not preclude relief. You should be aware, though, that HMRC could challenge any claim that such goods or services were purchased for personal or domestic use.   

The good or services must be just for your own use, not for use by anyone else. However, if you and your partner are both chronically sick or disabled and buy goods and services for both of you to use, then you will not have to pay VAT.

What is covered by the ‘zero rate’?

In this section we give examples of items that can be free of VAT for disabled people:

Cars (including light vans and motorhomes)

VAT relief can be available if:

  • you lease a car from the charity Motability or directly purchase a car previously hired under the scheme
  • you usually use a wheelchair for mobility and you hire, lease or purchase a car which has either been designed or substantially and permanently adapted (which typically require welding or bolting) so that you can get into it, travel as a passenger, or drive it. Note that the car has to be adapted when you purchase it – you cannot buy the car with VAT zero-rating and then have it adapted.

Again, the car must be for domestic or personal use. This is normal everyday use such as going to the shops, taking the children to school, travelling to and from college. It also includes incidental use at work, providing the main use remains as a private vehicle. It does not include business use – for example using the vehicle to deliver goods sold by a business. 

The following do not qualify as adaptations: the fitting of a standard roof rack or standard roof box; the attachment of a trailer to the back of a vehicle; the fitting of automatic transmission; or the fitting of parking/reversing sensors because they are for general use and not specifically designed for disabled people. This is not an exhaustive list; however, HMRC have a help sheet for customers about purchasing zero-rated adapted vehicles, which provides more information.

Please note that it is expected that new rules will be introduced in connection with VAT relief on cars, to take effect possibly from some time in 2016. These rules are likely to restrict the frequency with which such a car might be purchased - probably to one every three years – but with provision for a more frequent change if there is a special reason (perhaps a change in level of disability or car is written off, for example).

This follows a 2014 consultation in which HMRC indicated that it had evidence that almost all of the zero-rated vehicles purchased privately were luxury cars and motorhomes which had minor, low-cost and easily removable adaptations – meaning they could be sold on for profit.

We suggest that you check the relevant area of GOV.UK regularly for updates.

Alterations to your home

There is no general VAT relief on building modifications for disabled people. However, some specific building works (including materials connected to the work, preparatory work and making good the immediate area) to adapt a private* residence (including garden, granny annex or similar and second home or holiday home) because of your disability can qualify, including:

  • constructing ramps or widening doorways or passages to help getting in and out of a home or move around inside it
  • installing, extending or adapting a bathroom, shower room, washroom or lavatory where the work is necessary to suit the condition of the disabled person
  • installing a lift – such as a stair lift or chair lift – that is designed for use in connection with a wheelchair
  • installing an alarm system so you can call for assistance.

(* the word private in this context does not require ownership or sole occupation. The relief applies provided that you may live in it. For example, if you live with your family, that would qualify.)

Unfortunately, some things which you might think should qualify do not, such as:

  • constructing new doorways or passages
  • installing, extending or adapting a downstairs bedroom
  • alterations to accommodate special medical equipment (the equipment itself might qualify for relief, but the alterations to your home do not)
  • materials from building merchants in connection with works performed by a family or friend for free or in a Do-It-Yourself capacity.

One area that gives rise to difficulty is kitchens. You can only get VAT relief on equipment designed specifically to suit disability, for example, a bespoke knee space hob unit specially made for a wheelchair user to sit at it (however the hob appliance itself would not qualify). Relief is not available on general purpose equipment even though it does, in fact, alleviate disability. For example, a mass-produced corner carousel in a kitchen may make things easier for a person with MS suffering with fatigue or lack of energy, but it is also a convenience for able-bodied people and a better means of utilising space. Although it is undoubtedly of use to the person with MS, it has been designed for general use and not more specifically for a disabled person. 

Other equipment

A range of goods and services (bought or leased) might be free of VAT if they are specially designed to help with a disability. Examples include:

  1. wheelchairs and carriages (including most mobility scooters)
  2. medical or surgical appliances – like pacemakers, artificial respirators, artificial limbs or leg braces, (but plasters, bandages, and so on do not qualify as they are not appliances)
  3. electrically or mechanically adjustable beds (must be akin to beds commonly used in hospital wards)
  4. commode chairs, stools and other similar devices to aid with bathing
  5. chair and stair lifts for wheelchairs
  6. computer software designed specifically for disabled people, for example to overcome communication problems
  7. hoists and other lifting equipment including lift and tilt or riser chairs
  8. emergency alarm call systems of the type that link you to a specified person or a central control centre 
  9. low-vision aids (magnifying equipment, and so on) but not spectacles or contact lenses
  10. Braille embossers and other similar equipment, such as a braille keyboard
  11. gadgets and devices that are designed solely to make everyday tasks easier for disabled people, like kettle tippers and long-handled pick-up sticks
  12. text telephones, but not hearing aids (unless for the auditory training of deaf children)
  13. incontinence products
  14. specialist clothing, footwear and wigs (but not dentures).

You might also be able to get VAT relief on:

  • the cost of installing some of the items in the list above
  • the cost of adapting general-purpose goods to suit your particular needs (including any materials needed to adapt the goods but not the cost of the goods themselves)
  • repair and maintenance costs of qualifying goods such as those listed above
  • parts and accessories designed solely to go with qualifying items (for example, a generator purchased to run a stair lift if there is a power cut does not qualify because it is a general-purpose item that could have other uses).


In general terms, if goods qualify for relief when purchased from a UK supplier, they will also qualify for relief when imported by the person with a disability. 

They are listed and described in the HMRC VAT Notice 701/7. If you use a freight service, they can help you with the paperwork, otherwise make sure the following is written on the parcel, ‘Goods for disabled people: relief claimed’.

If you bring them in yourself, declare them in the Red Channel at Customs. For any other method of import, contact the National Import Reliefs Unit.

National Import Reliefs Unit
030 0057 2100
Monday to Friday 8am to 4pm

Can other goods and appliances qualify for zero-rating?

The VAT relief depends upon the purpose for which the goods were designed.

Remember: they must be designed solely for use by disabled people – this is very narrow – it is not sufficient for the zero-rating that the equipment or appliance is designed mainly for or destined or intended for use by a disabled person, or is mainly purchased by disabled persons. The only exceptions are commodes and other items to enable easier use of toilet facilities – these are always zero-rated.

Therefore, whether other goods and appliances qualify for zero-rating will depend on what the manufacturer or designer set out to achieve – there may have been patent applications or clinical trials, for example, and they (the manufacturer or designer) are responsible for confirming the VAT liability of their products and should advise distributors and retailers of the product's VAT status. This means that in most cases, the product should be on sale with the same VAT liability status across the board and there should be no need to shop around to obtain the VAT relief (however, there may be other reasons to compare prices, such as delivery charges, etc.).

If the manufacturer or designer makes no such claim for the goods, or if there is any doubt on this question, they can apply to HMRC for a ruling. Only in exceptional cases, where the manufacturer or designer is not prepared to take up the matter with the VAT office, should a retailer or purchaser ask for help and guidance from HMRC.

HMRC have been asked questions about (amongst other things) air purification products, allergy products, asthma products, batteries, recliner chairs, hay fever products, hydrotherapy pools, mattresses, pain relief equipment, spa baths and walk-in baths. You can find more information on the HMRC website.  

You can contact HMRC to ask them about VAT reliefs for disabled people online.

What if I am aged over 60, but not disabled?

Certain mobility aids can be installed in the private home (or a home shared with friends and relations) of someone aged 60+ at a reduced VAT rate of 5%. These are:

  • grab rails
  • ramps
  • stair lifts
  • bath lifts
  • built-in shower seats or showers containing built-in shower seats
  • walk-in baths with sealable doors.

Note that the relief is only available where the items are supplied and installed together – you cannot purchase the items separately at the reduced rate and install them yourself. You also will not get the reduced rate if you have to pay for any repairs or replacements of an existing installation.

Remember: if you are aged 60+ and also disabled, you might get the full VAT relief where it is available rather than just the reduced rate. It is worth noting that where your physical condition is so impaired on account of age that you cannot get about without a wheelchair or a walking aid, you may be said to be disabled.

The person who uses and benefits from the goods must be 60 or over at the time when the supply and installation takes place. It does not matter, though, who actually orders and pays for the work. 

You will not get the reduced rate if you have to pay for any repairs or replacements of those goods once they have been installed.

Also, you will not get the reduced rate on general adaptations carried out in your home, such as widening passageways and so forth.

How do I claim the elderly and disabled VAT reliefs?

You do not have to pay the full price to the seller and then reclaim the VAT from the Government later. Instead, the supplier should sell you the goods or services with the VAT already discounted. If you suspect that a product or service is zero- or 5%-rated, ask the supplier and they should tell you. 

You will probably have to sign a form declaring your illness or disability or that you are aged 60+. The supplier should have copies of this form. If not, you can direct them to look at HMRC’s website guidance for samples of the eligibility declarations. See the Where can I find out more? section for more information.

If you are shopping online, the supplier or manufacturer should have an online declaration, which you can fill in as you make your purchase. If you are unable to complete a declaration yourself, HMRC guidance confirms that a relative, partner or other responsible person, for example your doctor, can do so on your behalf.

There are penalties for making false declaration and for fraudulent VAT evasion.

With regard to incontinence products – in practice these are zero-rated on the shelf in a retail setting and you will not need to complete an eligibility declaration, as it is accepted that due to their specialist nature, only eligible individuals are likely to buy such products. 

Where can I find out more?

HMRC provide guidance for customers and contact details on VAT reliefs for disabled and older people

HMRC’s VAT Notice 701/7 gives further information on the reliefs for disabled people.

HMRC also have a help sheet for customers about purchasing zero-rated adapted vehicles.

You can read more about the problems and inconsistencies in the VAT regime for disabled people in the Low Incomes Tax Reform Group's January 2007 report (before the 60+ relief was introduced).

Back to the top