Requesting alternative format documents from HMRC

HMRC's ‘Visually Impaired Media Unit’ can convert documents into alternative formats, including large print. But how do you contact them?

If you have a visual impairment, dyslexia or other disability and need material in an alternative format HMRC's Visually Impaired Media Unit can help you. They can produce most paper forms, leaflets and other information in the following formats:

  • Braille
  • large print
  • audio on CD
  • text on CD (standard or large print)
  • other formats on request, for example, colored paper

Indeed, per HMRC's recently released report looking at how it complies with its public sector equality duties, in 2015/16 the Visually Impaired Media Unit converted more than 31,000 documents into alternative formats.

You can't contact them directly however. You need to use the normal HMRC helpline number- for example, ‘Self Assessment: general enquiries’ if you need a large-print tax return. The telephone adviser will then put in a request to the special unit on your behalf.

Please note it takes more time to produce material in an alternative format so there may be a delay in receiving your correspondence. You should also be aware that just because you have requested a special format once, this does not necessarily mean that HMRC will send out the same format automatically in the future!

You can find a list of HMRC's helpline numbers on GOV.UK.

The HMRC report ‘How HMRC has complied with its public sector equality duties 2015-16’ can be found on GOV.UK.