Carers and Tax

Taxes as an unpaid carer

If you are a full-time carer, you may not be in paid employment or self-employment, due to your caring responsibilities. This does not mean that you do not have to pay tax. If you have taxable income from other sources, such as from investments and it is more than your personal allowance, you will have to pay tax on this.

If you are employed or self-employed in other work, and also a carer, then the normal employment and self-employment rules apply to you. This means registration, records and completing tax returns if you are self-employed, or checking your tax code if you are an employee.

Our main Low Incomes Tax Reform Group website has a comprehensive tax guides section that explains the basics of the tax system as well rules around employment, self-employment and other tax issues, which you may find useful to help understand your obligations and responsibilities.