Help with housing costs and council tax

Paying your rent, mortgage and council tax

This section gives an overview of the help available to pay your housing costs and council tax. This page is intended only as a brief guide. You should follow links to more detailed information. If you have problems paying your mortgage, rent or council tax, get advice as soon as possible. See our help with benefits page for a list of organisations who can provide help.

Help with rent

You could get housing benefit to help you pay your rent if you're on a low income. How much you get depends on your income and circumstances. You can claim housing benefit even if you are working. Housing benefit will eventually be replaced by Universal Credit. In some areas, you can no longer claim housing benefit, because Universal Credit digital (full) service is available.

You can find out more about housing benefit on the GOV.UK website.

Help for homeowners

If you're a homeowner you might be able to get help towards your mortgage interest payments if you get certain means-tested benefits.

You can find out more about getting help with mortgage interest on GOV.UK website.

Money off your council tax

The amount of council tax you pay depends on the size of your home and the area you live in. Depending on your circumstances you may be able to reduce the amount of council tax you pay through exemptions, discounts and reductions. These reductions are not necessarily applied consistently across councils so it is important to check the rules applied by your own local Council. For information about council tax reductions see our main LITRG website.